How The Jones Law Firm Helps
When you are experiencing financial distress from the burden of debts you cannot pay, The Jones Law Firm can help. Many individuals in the Columbus, Ohio area and Franklin County, face some of the following challenges that can seem overwhelming:
Bankruptcy attorney Michael Ryan Jones
- High Credit Card Debt
- Job Loss
- Wage Garnishment
- Car Repossession
- Tax Debt
- Student Loans
- Payday Loans
- Medical Debt
- Creditor Harassment
and The Jones Law Firm have extensive experience in helping individuals overcome these challenges while getting a fresh financial start. We know that financial problems like these are stressful and can even seem embarrassing, but we are committed to providing exceptional and compassionate legal representation. Many people are surprised and happy to find out that they can file bankruptcy and keep their assets and start rebuilding their credit.
Bankruptcy is not the end, but a new beginning without the stress of crushing debt. We are here to help, and you deserve a fresh start.
Free Initial Consultation
The first step is your free
initial consultation. Attorney Michael Ryan Jones will meet with you personally and carefully review the information you provide. The following are documents and information you should bring to the initial consultation:
- Two months of pay stubs
- A list of all debts (including loans from family members or friends)
- Bank statements
- Lawsuits or other court papers
- Car titles
- Mortgage and deed paperwork
- A list, or at least a good idea, of all your assets (in other words, things you own)
Don’t worry, we will confirm with you what information you need to bring to your first meeting. This is a chance for us to determine your best options, and for you to ask questions. During this first meeting, we will let you know if you have the option of filing bankruptcy and which chapter you should choose (Chapter 7
, Chapter 13
, or perhaps even Chapter 11). Some people have the option of choosing either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 depending on their individual goals and desires — we will make sure you have all the information to make this decision.
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy: Chapter 7 bankruptcy, also known as a “straight” or “fresh start” bankruptcy, is usually a quick proceeding (three to six months) that allows you to discharge most debts and get an immediate fresh financial start.
- Chapter 13 Bankruptcy: Chapter 13 bankruptcy allows you to propose a plan to repay some of your debts over three to five years. Chapter 13 is ideal when you want to keep your house or car, but you are behind on your payments. Chapter 13 bankruptcy is also a good alternative when you do not qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy relief. In most cases, you receive a discharge at the end of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy that forgives all remaining unpaid debts.
Occasionally, bankruptcy is not an option. If that is the case, we can discuss certain bankruptcy alternatives that may help.
No Hidden Fees
During this first meeting, we will also go over the fees
. We will make sure you understand exactly how much the fees are for whichever chapter you decide to file. This includes attorney fees and court filing fees. When you leave the initial consultation, you will know exactly how much you need to pay to file your case — there are no
The Jones Law Firm offers competitive rates. And, in many cases, attorney fees can be deferred. Read More
Automatic Stay: Stop Creditors, Garnishment, and Foreclosure Right Away
No matter which bankruptcy you decide to file, you will almost always get the benefit of the automatic stay
immediately upon filing your case. The automatic stay is a federal injunction
that prohibits creditors from continuing any collection activity. As soon as we file your bankruptcy case, all debt collection activity will immediately stop. This includes:
- Wage garnishment
- Vehicle repossession (**we may be able to recover your repossessed vehicle if it has not been sold by the time you file)
- Home foreclosure
- Creditor harassment, including phone calls and letters
The automatic stay also usually allows you to immediately renew your suspended driver’s license when the suspension was due to unpaid fees. If you have a pending collection action such as a foreclosure or repossession, contact The Jones Law Firm immediately
Discharge of Debt
At the end of your case, you will receive a discharge except in very limited circumstances. The discharge permanently forgives most debts, including the following:
- Credit Card Debt
- Medical Debt
- Payday Loans
- Home Foreclosure Deficiencies
- Vehicle Repossession Deficiencies
- Debt From Evictions
- Some Tax Obligations
Contact Us for a Free Consultation About How The Jones Law Firm Can Help You
With offices in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, The Jones Law Firm works with clients in and around the Columbus area and throughout central Ohio and Franklin County. Visit our FAQ
for more information on bankruptcy in Columbus, Ohio, and contact The Jones Law Firm
today to speak about your specific situation and how we can help you.